Since last January, the organic waste pick-up has been carried out every two weeks and will continue this 2-week schedule up to and including the month of March.
Over the past few weeks, a number of brown bins couldn’t be emptied properly because organic waste tends to stick to the walls of the bin when frozen. Here are a few tips to avoid this problem:
- Use a large paper yard waste bag inside your brown bin to reduce contact between wet waste materials and the bin walls.
- Wrap your organic waste in newspaper or in a paper bag.
- Freeze your food before disposing of it in your brown bin.
- Line the bottom of your brown bin with newspaper or a piece of cardboard to absorb moisture and prevent the waste materials from sticking to the bin when being emptied.
- Avoid putting liquid waste in your brown bin.
Also, before placing ashes in your brown bin, make sure they are completely cooled to prevent them from causing a fire. It is best to let them cool outside in a closed metal container for at least one week.
More information on organic waste pick-up dates may be found in the municipal calendar or our on our website (at https://www.ville.rosemere.qc.ca/new-schedule-pickups/).