The winners of the 34th Rosemère in Bloom photo contest were announced at a ceremony held in Rosemère's Town Council room on October 12. The contest objective is to recognize Rosemerites' efforts in enhancing the beauty of their gardens.
To enter the contest, Rosemère residents were invited to submit a photo of their landscape in one of the contest categories. Here are the Grand Prize winners in each category:
• Front in Bloom — Residential: 296 Rose-Alma Street
• Marilyn Proulx – Cosy Corner: 264 Rosemère Street
• Environmental Action: 260 Normandie Street
• Vegetable Garden: 186 Bellerive Street (community garden, plot 21)
• Backyard: 268 Rosemère Street
• Floral – new category: 188 Corona Street
• Special mention - lawn-free landscaping: 300 Clairière Street
• Special Mention - Judges' Favourite: 114 Jardin-des-Tourelles Street
"I'd like to congratulate the winners and thank all the residents who took part in this 34th edition of Rosemère in Bloom. Rosemerites' involvement in this magnificent photo contest is a clear illustration of their passion for landscaping their properties," stated Mayor Eric Westram.
A panel of judges made up of members of the Rosemère in Bloom committee examined all the applications received on the basis of the following criteria: overall appearance, cleanliness, diversity, originality, harmony, choice and health of plants, cost/environmental benefit, ease of efforts and sustainability.
The judges were:
• Annie Dupas, Rosemère resident
• Monique Keurentjes, Division Manager, Green Spaces and Environment, Town of Rosemère
• Stéphanie Milot, Urban Forestry/Horticulture Coordinator, Town of Rosemère
A look back at the summer's horticultural activities
The awards ceremony also provided an opportunity to look back on the highly successful Gardening Bazaar held on July 9, at the same time as the Secret Gardens Tour. During the Gardening Bazaar, residents had the chance to buy a variety of plants and tree shoots as well as pre-owned planters and gardening accessories. This initiative raised $2,930, which was donated to the Les Petits plaisirs respite organization. Good news! The event will be back on Sunday, July 14, 2024.
A list of all Rosemère in Bloom winners may be found online and will be published in the December issue of Rosemère News.