Public consultation: Legalization of marijuana - Rosemère launches a survey to obtain residents’ views
Through on online survey, May 10-27, Rosemerites will be asked to express their views on various issues related to the upcoming legalization of marijuana by the federal government.. This survey will help the Town gauge residents’ concerns and determine their social acceptance of this issue. The survey is accessible from the following link: https://fr.surveymonkey.com/r/3LTZ9MH.
"This civic participation process is a necessary step in the upcoming implementation of the new bylaw, so as to give residents an opportunity to express their opinions on this matter and to provide us with food for thought in this regard. Of course, this process will be carried out in harmony with our approach of proximity and transparency with our residents, in order to develop a bylaw that meets the needs identified by the population in the survey," explained Rosemère Mayor Eric Westram.
As for the legalization of marijuana, the Town wants to mention, as a reminder, that this decision does not come under municipal jurisdiction. "The bylaw will regulate consumption on our Town’s territory, but is not intended to determine its legalization; that decision comes under the jurisdiction of the federal government. The online survey is therefore not a forum for debate on the legalization of marijuana, but rather a means of helping us establish our own bylaw in the proper way, according to residents’ wishes," added the Mayor in his closing remarks.
Following this survey, the Town will make the findings of the survey public and will then proceed with drafting the bylaw in order to submit and adopt it this summer.
The Town of Rosemère would moreover like to thank the Town of Saint-Jérôme for its collaboration in the development of the survey questionnaire.
Update on the consultation process leading to the development of a citizen participation policy
- At the meeting of May 14, 2018, the municipal council adopted the Citizen Participation Policy. Click here to read the Policy.
- September 19 – Tabling, by the Institut du Nouveau Monde (INM), of the report on the consultation leading to the development of the citizen participation policy. The report is available on the left-side of this page.
- September 19 – Meeting of the committee entrusted with the validation/enhancement of the policy project – a committee consisting of six citizens, one representative of the business community and two municipal employees. The six citizens on the committee were selected by random draw from the ranks of those who expressed an interest in sitting on the committee and are representative of the Rosemère population.
- August 16-23 – Telephone survey developed by a specialized firm and administered to a representative sampling (301 residents) of Rosemère’s adult population between August 16 and 23, 2017.
- August 19 – iPad survey administered to young families at Rosemère’s Citizens Day.
- July 17 – Meeting with employees of the Town of Rosemère
- July 17 – Meeting with elected officials of the Town of Rosemère
- June 8 and 13 – Three citizen coffee klatches (seniors, youths and general public)
- June 28 – Consultation meeting with targeted stakeholders (business and community sectors)
- May 31 to June 22 – Opinion survey on the Town’s website
- May 30 – Public unveiling of the process and an informative document